Sunday, November 22, 2009

Silly teacher, TRIGS are for students

1)Hmmm well transformations are somewhat simple for me well kind of. I remember some transformation like shift the graph left or right, I remember this because I shift the graph the opposite way that it tells me. Ex. (x+3) shift left 3. (x-3) shift right 3. The shift up or down is simple if it x-1 shift down 1 if it is x+1 shift up 1, pretty simple. Now one that sometimes tricks me is the negative in front of the x, Ex. -x,-(x-3),etc., which means that it shifts about the x axis basically upside down.

2)Well the unit circle itself is difficult but possible. One tip the was useful for me is that it goes in a pattern 6,4,3,2 then on the second quadrant it goes 3,4,6,2 then the third quadrant is 6,4,3,2 the fourth quadrant is 3,4,6,2 pretty simple some times. now knowing pi is kind of simple first quadrant they are all pi second quadrant pi is -1 of the denominator third is +1 of the denominator fourth quadrant is x2-1 of the denominator. The coordinates go (3/2, 1/2), (2/2, 2/2), (1/2, 3/2) now the order of the these coordinates are the same as pi but they follow the quadrant rules Q1(+,+) Q2(-,+) Q3(-,-) Q4(+,-). Now Cos=x Sin=y simple so Tan is Sin/Cos so it is y/x Csc and Sec are difficult for me but I found out a way to remind myself of how to tell the difference of the two, ok so the first letter is the opposite of what it is(ok I kind of confused myself but what I mean is this Csc is 1/Sin, Sec is 1/Cos see C=S and S=C). Cot is simple it is just the opposite of Tan so it is Cos/Sin, x/y. Simple kind of.

3)Ok now what confuses me is how to graph these things. I forget where they start where is the period, etc. I'm just terrible with them and that really sucks I don't remember how to graph the inverse. AAHHHHHHH this is just bothers me so much I need to remember but i get confused help!!!

2 comments:

  1. An easy point to test to know where to start is at 0. Anchor that wave down and then work your period into it.

    ReplyDelete