Thursday, November 12, 2009

Inverse and Logarithms

One thing that I understood is that to find the inverse function one must switch the x and y I also learned that once thats over get the y by itself. During this situation anything is pretty much possible to try to get the y by itself. For instance, in the problem y=2x/8 turns into x=2y/8 then when 8 is multiplied to both sides it turns to 8x=2y then when divided by 2 it turns to 4x=y which is the answer. I also learned that e and ln are basically the same thing so when set up like ln^e or vice versa it cancels out. I also learned the one to one thing which is if a function passes both the vertical an horizontal line test then its inverse function is a function but if it doesn't well then it is not.
I didn't understand what exactly to do when trying to get y by itself when you involve an ln or e . though i know they cancel sometimes I don't know exactly what to to when dividing or multiplying them to both sides.

4 comments:

  1. i actually understand the way you explained it henry. = p

    ReplyDelete
  2. good explanation
    made it a bit easier for me :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you understand how exponents and logarithms work, then solving problems involving e and ln (natural logarithm) aren't all that different. just treat e as you would any number and ln as any logarithm (it just has base e instead of a simple whole number). srry, i can't get any more specific than that. if you had a specific problem, i could help you, but in general that's as much help as i can give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont really understand alot of the Logrithim material but Ln and e cancel out sometimes because of the properties of Logs and some canceling rules.

    ReplyDelete